Donor Advised Funds
Opening a Donor Advised Fund allows a client to make a gift to the Porter County Community Foundation and remain actively involved in suggesting uses for the gift.
Why create a Donor Advised Fund?
Donor Advised Funds are a convenient and flexible tool for donors who want to remain involved in the grant making process. Donor Advised Funds are typically less costly and easier to administer than other forms of philanthropy, such as family or corporate foundations.
Benefits of a Donor Advised Fund
- The gift can be combined with others to increase impact in areas your clients care about most.
- Donors know their gift will be carefully invested and managed via the Foundation’s proven stewardship practices.
- The fund may be established now, giving the client the ability to make grant recommendations today and in the future.
- A client may add to the donor advised fund at any time and receive tax benefits with each new gift.
Here’s how it works for your client:
- Your client makes a gift to the Foundation using cash, appreciated stocks, real estate or other assets.
- The Foundation establishes a special fund in the name of your client, the family, business, or in the name of a special person or organization.
- Your client receives tax benefits the year the gift is made.
- Your client recommends uses for the fund, working with Foundation staff to support the causes they care about most.
- Your client’s recommendations are presented to the Foundation’s Board for approval.
- The Foundation handles all of the administrative details and issues grant awards to charities in the name of your client, or anonymously if that is preferred.
- Your client may choose to place the gift in an endowed fund. These gifts remain forever while the earnings are used to enhance worthwhile organizations today and into the future.
To learn more about fund options or the Porter County Community Foundation investment policy, contact barb Young, (219) 465-0294, firstname.lastname@example.org.